March 8, 2008

Traveling at Any Expense


Yesterday I had not 1, not 2, but 3 shots . . . on purpose.


I get that it's not a rational fear, but I really can't stand needles. My mom never had to worry about me trying heroin or getting a tattoo, but she did have to drag me kicking and screaming every time she had to take me to the doctor's office.

I'm now in my late 20s, and haven't changed much in that respect--except now it's my husband dragging me kicking and screaming.

However, our upcoming travels to South America have come with a consequence, and apparently having yellow fever, hep. A or typhoid is worse than getting the shot (at least according to my mother), so even though the shots were not required (just recommended), I decided to grow up and get all 3.

My husband had to hold my hand through the ordeal, and it was a painful experience (not at all like the small pinch my mother promised), but when my husband asked the nurse if I did better than a 5 year old, the nurse assured him I had. Looks like I'm starting to grow up a bit.

Anyway, if anyone knows any countries that require a yellow fever shot, mine's good for 10 years, and I'd love to make the most of it!

No comments:

Post a Comment