January 7, 2012

Best Bridal Shower Gift Ever!

I appreciate and respect the concept of a wedding registry.  I have a rule - when I buy gifts for a wedding, I always buy gifts from the bride and groom's registry.  But when I heard about this gift idea, I had to rethink my rule.

It's quite simple.  You buy four to six pairs of candles of any size/shape in different colors, and you wrap them pretty in a basket.  And then, the most important part, you print this poem out on a card (making changes as necessary for the colors you bought), and you make the bride read the card out loud:

A basket of candles that come in a pair

In all different colors, for you two to share

The white candles are the first pair to light

Use them to celebrate your first married night

Red candles set the mood and pave the way

For your first married Valentine’s Day

The lavender candles are for after your first fight

Use them to burn while making up all night

Now, when your first year of marriage is through

The light blue anniversary pair, will light for you two.

By this time we hope, maybe, just maybe

You can light the dark green ones on the birth of your baby

And just when you thought you would put these away

Take the light green ones out for your fifth anniversary

Now just one pair left – for the big 2-5,

The anniversary pair that will keep your love alive.

Congratulations ____ & _____

On the start of your forever

May the two of you always be happy together

And burn these candles

Just the way we said

But please don’t forget to blow them out before bed!

With Love,
________


I change the poem slightly every time, but I always leave in the candle for the first baby (it always gets the best reaction).  Regardless of how many candles I choose to use, this is hands down the best bridal shower gift!  It is incredibly sentimental and it gives the bride a chance to realize that she is about to get married!  It always catches everyone by surprise. 

Best part about this gift is that it can be budget friendly.  If you want to spend more, you can always purchase candlesticks from the bride and groom's registry to go along with it (or just add a gift from the registry).

1 comment:

  1. Yeah I completely agree that this is the best bridal shower gift. I adore this idea a lot. My cousin just got married at one of best wedding venues NYC and I also gave her DIY gifts on her wedding and bridal shower as well. She loved my gifts a lot.

    ReplyDelete