September 28, 2012

It's All About Roasted Veggies

I love roasted veggies!  They are super easy to make, and they are great on their own or as an ingredient in another dish.

They also meet all five of my requirements for a great weekday meal:  (1) healthy; (2) doesn't taste healthy; (3) very little hands-on time; (4) my husband's not afraid to make it or I can make it ahead of time; and (5) I can have it on the table within 15 minutes of getting home (even if my husband didn't help).  I usually make them once or twice a month on a Sunday.  That way I can play with my son while the vegetables cook in the oven.  When they are done, I pack them away and warm them up for dinner another night. 

I am a big fan of zucchini and potatoes because the leftovers taste great in a frittata, but I try to mix it up.

Regardless of the combo of vegetables, I follow a simple formula:
  1. Preheat Oven to 425 Degrees Fahrenheit
  2. Cut/Prep vegetables
  3. Toss vegetables in a little olive oil and salt
  4. Roast for 30 to 60 minutes. 
The exact cooking time depends on the vegetables involved. 

Leftover Magic:
  • Make a frittata using leftover roasted zucchini and potatoes
  • Add leftover veggies to pasta
  • Toss leftover veggies, with avocado, romaine lettuce, and a balsamic vinaigrette for a quick salad
  • Add your favorite homemade (or jar of) tomato sauce to leftover veggies (I do this often with zucchini or a zucchini/corn mixture).
  • Puree leftover veggies to make Barefoot Contessa's Roasted Vegetable Soup (and freeze extra).

No comments:

Post a Comment