September 23, 2012

Rosh Hashana - Part Two: The Food


If I've learned one thing since becoming a mom, it's that when you entertain, you should keep things simple.  So when it came time to planning the menu for our Rosh Hashana dinner, I stuck with dishes that were really good, but also really easy to make.  I also used my chafing dishes to keep the warm dishes warm so that I didn't have to wait to the last minute to put everything out (and I didn't have to keep reheating the dishes before guests went back for seconds and thirds).

The Dinner Menu:
  • Gefilte Fish
  •   Israeli Salad
  •  Butter Lettuce Salad with Beets and Corn
  •  Round Challahs
  •  Green Beans with Tomatoes
  •  Israeli Cous Cous with Lentils
  • Sweet Potato Apple Bake  

  • Brisket


The Dessert Table 
A Rosh Hashana dinner is full of sweet symbols for a sweet new year.  So I figured it was appropriate to have a sweet table, full of sweet things.

 
  • Cheesecake Stuffed Strawberries (I doubled the recipe that I found here).  These were a huge hit, and so simple to make.  The only thing I would do different next time, is that I used a ziplock bag with the corner cut off to fill the strawberries and it was really messy.  Next time, I would use a real piping bag or a spoon.

  • Chocolate Lacies (store purchased)
  • Meringue Cookies (store purchased)
  •  Grapes

  • Chocolate Moose
  • Chocolate Covered Strawberries
  • Apple Cake with Vanilla Ice Cream
  • Apple Pie Pops (from a recipe I found here - I used frozen Pillsbury pie crust and they came out great). 



No comments:

Post a Comment