September 16, 2013

Turkey and Spinach Lasagna

I credit law school and my experience at a law firm for helping me build the research skills necessary to successfully search for amazing recipes online.  Lately, every recipe I've tried has been a keeper. 

This recipe is one of the best ones I've found from my search.  It is really, really good, and it somehow is also somewhat healthy.  No one believes me when I tell them it’s made with nonfat cottage cheese and whole wheat pasta.   

I make this on weekends, for guests, and during the week.  My favorite part about this recipe is that it's easy to make two lasagnas at once.  I just double the recipe, keep some leftovers for lunch the next day, and freeze the rest.  It freezes really well.  

Sometimes I make an extra one for a friend who just had a baby or is ill (or could use a homemade meal).  When I make it as a gift, I bake it in an aluminum foil tin so I can cover it with tin foil.  Then they don't have to worry about washing a dish and remembering to bring it back to me.

(Based on this amazing Turkey and Spinach Lasagna recipe) 

Ingredients:
  • 2 teaspoons Olive Oil
  • 1-1 ½ pounds Ground Turkey
  • 1 whole Onion, Chopped
  • 1 clove Crushed Garlic
  • 1 can (14 Oz) Diced Tomatoes
  • 1 can (14 Oz.) Crushed Tomatoes
  • ¼ cups Grated Parmesan Cheese
  • 1 teaspoon Oregano
  • 1 teaspoon Basil
  • ½ teaspoons Sugar
  • 2 cups Non Fat Cottage Cheese
  • 1 package (10 Oz) Frozen Spinach
  • 12 whole No-boil Whole Wheat Lasagna Noodles
  • 1 cup Shredded Part-skim Mozzarella Cheese

Directions:

  1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit. 
  2. Defrost spinach, drain, and set aside.
  3. In a large nonstick saucepan, heat the oil. 
  4. Add the turkey, onion, and garlic to the pan. 
  5. Cook the turkey mixture until the turkey is brown and onion is soft, about 5 minutes.
  6.  Stir in tomatoes, Parmesan cheese, basil, oregano, and sugar. 
  7.  Bring to boil. 
  8. Reduce the heat and simmer uncovered for 5 minutes. 
  9. Combine cottage cheese and spinach in a large bowl.
  10. Spoon 1/3 of sauce into bottom of 9×13″ baking dish, then top with 3 of the noodles. Spread half of the cottage cheese and spinach mixture over the noodles, then top with 3 more noodles. 
  11. Repeat Step 9.
  12. Spread sauce over last layer of noodles, and sprinkle mozzarella on top.
  13.  Bake, covered, for 1 hour. 
  14.  Uncover and bake for another 10 minutes.
  15.  Let stand 10 minutes before serving.

No comments:

Post a Comment